JOURNALIST, REPORTER, WRITER, EDITOR
- More than a decade of daily journalism experience, including breaking news and beat coverage of local, regional and state issues.
- More than five years of online news experience. Knowledgeable with Web and social tools including Twitter, Facebook, Storify, YouTube and more.
- Versatile journalist adept with features, beat coverage and breaking news. Experienced with shooting and editing photos and video, and with writing and appearing on radio and television.
- Newsroom leadership experience with assigning and editing stories to reporters.
- More than a decade of experience reporting breaking news in a competitive environment.
- Loves crunching numbers. Trained in using Excel for news reporting.
- Experienced with filing requests for public documents (FOIA) and using court records, LexisNexis and other databases for breaking news and background research.
- Knowledgeable of AP style and familiar with SEO principles.
TVW, Olympia, WA
News Reporter, Jan. 2014 – March 2014
- Temporary political news reporter during the 2014 Washington state Legislative session.
- Covered the Washington state legislature, the Governor’s office and other statewide issues for a statewide cable public affairs TV station.
- Reported for and appeared on evening television news program “Legislative Review.”
- Reported original stories and took photos for the station’s blog The Capitol Record.
- One of several managers on TVW’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Bellevue Patch, Bellevue, WA
Local Editor, Aug. 2010 to Oct. 2013
- Launched and edited Bellevue Patch, which provided news about Bellevue through a website, daily newsletter and social media channels.
- Reported breaking news, wrote headlines, edited stories and blog posts, and reported original stories, including shooting and editing photos and video.
- Made weekly radio appearances on KBCS-FM, a community radio station.
- Curated news from local, regional and national news websites and social media sources such as YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Managed the site’s Twitter and Facebook pages. Curation tools such as Storify and CoverItLive.
- Used in-house content management system (CMS) to manage the daily top stories of the site.
- Ranked #2 in traffic of Washington and Northern California Patch sites in first quarter of 2013.
The Olympian, Olympia, WA
Education Reporter, Nov. 2005 to Aug. 2010
- Part of a two-member Education team that provided stories for the main section of the newspaper and a separate education page six days a week. Also covered weekend breaking news.
- Covered diversity, education, which included three K-12 school districts, a four-year public college, a private university and a community college, and state agencies. Posted breaking news directly to the website, and established the Education Blog.
The Daily News, Longview, WA
Region Reporter, July 2002 to Nov. 2005
- Covered Columbia County, Ore., including cities and schools; covered breaking Sunday cops.
- Organized non-journalists for a public records project that included an audit of 14 local agencies. Organized reporters and wrote a narrative about detours around a major bridge.
Eastside Journal, Bellevue, WA
Reporter, July 1999 to Oct. 2001
- Covered Kirkland, and local hospital district and technical college; breaking Sunday cops news.
- Covered the turbulent last months of a hospital director’s 20-year tenure. Tracked down a secretive editor of a site posting the Social Security numbers of police officers.
MEMBERSHIPS, ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS
Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA): Coordinated Seattle Media Access Workshop, 2014; Executive Leadership Program, 2013; Seattle chapter secretary 2008-2011; Co-coordinator of the Northwest Journalists of Color Scholarship, 2010.
NPR Audio Storytelling Workshop, August 2012.
Education Writers Association Statistics Boot Camp, a training session on Excel, Access and database research for journalism, 2010.
Awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Region 10: Second in Investigative, third in Watchdog, 2006; Third in Lifestyles, 2005.
Bachelor of Arts, English, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.