Profile and Skills
Experience: Two decades as a journalist, including eight years in leadership and management.
Background: Online, print and broadcast, in traditional, nonprofit and startup news organizations.
Interests: Storytelling, watchdog journalism, news innovation.
Skills: Reporting, writing, editing, story planning, AP Style, HTML, analytics, headlines, project management
KING 5 News, Seattle, WA — Digital News Content Producer, March 2020 to present
Part of a team that manages online news for an NBC-affiliate website in a mid-size TV market.
- Edits and posts multiple daily articles to KING5.com, including clipping video for the website.
- Writes and produces materials to supplement television coverage, including smart device briefing and newsletter.
- Member of station-wide workgroup on diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Seattle Globalist, Seattle, WA — Editorial Director, December 2014 to November 2019
Directed daily news coverage, weekly newsletter and special projects for a news organization focused on communities of color and immigrant communities.
- Boosted publication frequency. Traffic doubled and the organization won an SPJ General Excellence award in the first year as editor.
- Managed personnel and budget for grant-funded projects for editorial, mentorship and engagement.
TVW News, Olympia, WA — Temporary Legislative Reporter, January to March 2014; January to April 2015
Online and on-air political news reporter during the 2014 and 2015 Washington state legislative sessions.
- Wrote and presented on-air for “Legislative Review,” a daily cable news show covering state political news.
- Reported daily news on state politics for “Capitol Record” blog. Edited contributing interns.
Patch (AOL), Bellevue, WA — Local Editor, August 2010 to October 2013
Reported breaking news and original hyperlocal stories about Bellevue, including photo and video and social media.
- Produced multiple stories each day and managed and edited freelancers for additional stories and photos.
- Launched Bellevue Patch and consistently hit traffic and content goals for three years, reaching #2 in Patch’s Northern California/Washington region in the first quarter of 2013.
The Olympian, Olympia, WA — Education and Diversity Reporter, November 2005 to August 2010
Part of a two-member Education team that provided stories for the front and local pages of the newspaper and a six-day a week education section. Also covered diversity and weekend breaking news.
- Published daily stories on local, state and national issues and produced in-depth enterprise reporting from the education and diversity beats.
- Education coverage included three K-12 school districts, a four-year public college, a private university and a community college, and state agencies.
- Freelance work for Town Hall Seattle, 425 Business and the Northwest Asian Weekly.
- Journalism Instructor, at University of Washington and Seattle University, January to June 2017.
- The Daily News, Region Reporter, July 2002 to November 2005, Longview, WA.
- Eastside Journal, Staff Reporter, July 1999 to October 2001, Bellevue, WA.
Memberships, Activities and Awards
- Engaging Communities Fellowship, Agora Journalism Center, 2019.
- ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute, 2018.
- Online News Association Journalism Mentorship Collaborative Fellow, 2018.
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA): Seattle chapter president for 2016-17; Seattle chapter Interim National Advisory Board Representative, 2015; Coordinated Seattle Media Access Workshop, 2015 and 2014; Executive Leadership Program, 2013; Seattle chapter secretary, 2008-2011; Co-coordinator of Northwest Journalists of Color Scholarship, 2010.
- Institute for Justice and Journalism, Fellow on Immigrant Children and Education, 2016.
- NPR Audio Storytelling Workshop, August 2012.
- Education Writers Association Statistics Boot Camp, a training session on Excel, Access and database research for journalism, 2010.
- Awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Region 10: Helped organization get First Place in General Excellence, 2015, Third in Comprehensive Coverage, 2015; Second in Investigative, third in Watchdog, 2006; Third in Lifestyles, 2005.
- Bachelor of Arts, English, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.