Profile and Skills
Experience: Experienced reporter and editor, including in news leadership and management.
Interests: Storytelling, watchdog journalism, crunching data, fact-checking, news innovation.
Skills: Reporting, writing, editing, story planning, AP Style, HTML, analytics, headline writing.
Background: Online, print and broadcast, in traditional, nonprofit and startup news organizations.
KING 5 MEDIA, Seattle, WA, Digital Content News Producer, March 2020 to present.
Part of the team that manages the online news presence of KING 5, an NBC-affiliated television station that covers Western Washington.
- Edits and produces multiple stories in a day and manages social media as part of the team that manages KING5.com.
- Writes and produces original content for KING 5’s online presence.
THE SEATTLE GLOBALIST, Seattle, WA, Editorial Director, December 2014 to November 2019.
Directed daily news coverage and projects of a news organization focused on communities of color and immigrant communities.
- Managed reporters and planned daily and weekly news coverage. Edited copy, including writing headlines.
- Pitched and managed personnel and budget for grant-funded projects for editorial, mentorship and engagement.
- Edited and posted articles to the website. Managed the homepage and newsletter. Shared stories on social media.
- Boosted publication frequency. Traffic doubled in first year as editor. Organization won an SPJ General Excellence award.
TVW NEWS, Olympia, WA, Temporary Legislative Reporter, January to March 2014; January to April 2015.
Online and on-air political news reporter during the 2014 and 2015 Washington state legislative sessions.
- Wrote and presented on-air for “Legislative Review,” a daily cable news show covering state politics news.
- Reported one or more stories a day on state politics for “The Capitol Record” blog. Edited contributing interns.
PATCH, Bellevue, WA, Local Editor, August 2010 to October 2013.
Launched and edited AOL’s Bellevue Patch, which provided breaking news and original hyperlocal stories on Bellevue (2013 pop. 134,000) through a website, daily newsletter and social media channels.
- Produced multiple stories a day and managed, assigned and edited freelancers for additional stories and photos.
- Launched Bellevue Patch and consistently hit traffic and content goals for three years, reaching #2 in Patch’s Northern California/Washington region in the first quarter of 2013.
THE OLYMPIAN, Olympia, WA, Education Reporter, November 2005 to August 2010.
Part of a two-member Education team that provided stories for the main section of the newspaper and a separate education page six days a week. Also covered weekend breaking news.
- Covered diversity, education, which included three K-12 school districts, a four-year public college, a private university and a community college, and state agencies. Posted breaking news directly to the website, and established the Education Blog.
- Freelance work for Town Hall Seattle, 425 Business and the Northwest Asian Weekly.
- Journalism Instructor, at University of Washington and Seattle University, January to June 2017.
- The Daily News, Region Reporter, July 2002 to November 2005, Longview, WA.
- Eastside Journal, Staff Reporter, July 1999 to October 2001, Bellevue, WA.
Memberships, Activities and Awards
- ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute, September 2018.
- Online News Association Journalism Mentorship Collaborative Fellow, 2018.
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA): Seattle chapter president for 2016-17; Seattle chapter Interim National Advisory Board Representative, 2015; Coordinated Seattle Media Access Workshop, 2015 and 2014; Executive Leadership Program, 2013; Seattle chapter secretary, 2008-2011; Co-coordinator of Northwest Journalists of Color Scholarship, 2010.
- Institute for Justice and Journalism, Fellow on Immigrant Children and Education, 2016.
- NPR Audio Storytelling Workshop, August 2012.
- Education Writers Association Statistics Boot Camp, a training session on Excel, Access and database research for journalism, 2010.
- Awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Region 10: Helped organization get First Place in General Excellence, 2015, Third in Comprehensive Coverage, 2015; Second in Investigative, third in Watchdog, 2006; Third in Lifestyles, 2005.
- Bachelor of Arts, English, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.