More than a decade of daily journalism experience for online, broadcast and print. Adept with editing, breaking news and beat coverage.
- Newsroom leadership experience with assigning and editing stories and managing freelancers.
- Versatile reporter, writer and editor for features, spot news and enterprise reporting.
- Shoots photos and edits video — experienced with Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Experience appearing on radio and television.
- Extensive experience competitive media environments.
- Journalist who loves crunching numbers. Trained in using Excel for news reporting.
- Experienced with filing requests for public documents (FOIA) and using court records, LexisNexis and other databases for research.
- Skilled with Web and social tools including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Knowledge of AP style and trained in SEO principles.
- Community leadership experience, including event organizer and panelist.
THE SEATTLE GLOBALIST, Seattle, WA, Editorial Director, December 2014 to present.
Part of the editorial team that plans The Seattle Globalist’s daily and weekly news coverage. Main editor for breaking/spot news.
- Boosting spot news coverage helped triple traffic in 2015 from the previous year. Site won first place for “General Excellence” for small daily websites by Society of Professional Journalists Region 10 in 2015.
- Edits and manages freelance writers and photographers and other contributors. Writes headlines and identifies photos. Builds posts in WordPress CMS.
- Writes news stories through original reporting and curation. One of several managers of the site’s social media networks.
JOURNALISM INSTRUCTOR, Seattle, WA, January 2017 to present.
Teaches journalism at the university level.
TVW NEWS, Olympia, WA, Temporary Legislative Reporter, January to March 2014; January to April 2015.
Legislative session reporter for statewide public affairs television station TVW News during the 2014 and 2015 Washington State Legislative sessions.
- Wrote scripts for daily television broadcast and appeared on camera.
- Shot photos and wrote news articles for The Capitol Record blog.
PATCH, Bellevue, WA, Local Editor, August 2010 to October 2013.
Launched and edited AOL’s Bellevue Patch, which provided news about Bellevue (2013 pop. 134,000) through a website, daily newsletter and social media channels.
- Ranked #2 in traffic of Patch’s Washington/Northern California region in first quarter of 2013 and consistently met or exceeded traffic and content goals.
- Reported breaking news, wrote headlines, edited stories and blog posts, and reported original stories, including shooting and editing photos and video.
- Curated news from local, regional and national news websites and social media sources such as YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Managed the site’s Twitter and Facebook pages, made weekly appearances on KBCS-FM.
THE OLYMPIAN, Olympia, WA, Education Reporter, November 2005 to August 2010.
Part of a two-member Education team that provided stories for the main section of the newspaper and a separate education page six days a week. Also covered weekend breaking news.
- Covered diversity, education, which included three K-12 school districts, a four-year public college, a private university and a community college, and state agencies. Posted breaking news directly to the website, and established the Education Blog.
- Freelance work for the Northwest Asian Weekly and 425 Business.
- The Daily News, Region Reporter, July 2002 to November 2005, Longview, WA.
- Eastside Journal, Staff Reporter, July 1999 to October 2001, Bellevue, WA.
Memberships, Activities and Awards
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA): Seattle chapter president for 2016-17; Seattle chapter Interim National Advisory Board Representative, 2015; Coordinated Seattle Media Access Workshop, 2015 and 2014; Executive Leadership Program, 2013; Seattle chapter secretary, 2008-2011; Co-coordinator of Northwest Journalists of Color Scholarship, 2010.
- Institute for Justice and Journalism, Fellow on Immigrant Children and Education, 2016.
- NPR Audio Storytelling Workshop, August 2012.
- Education Writers Association Statistics Boot Camp, a training session on Excel, Access and database research for journalism, 2010.
- Awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Region 10: Helped organization get First Place in General Excellence, 2015, Third in Comprehensive Coverage, 2015; Second in Investigative, third in Watchdog, 2006; Third in Lifestyles, 2005.
- Bachelor of Arts, English, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, with Distinction, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.